Can I bring my family to Finland while working? Explore the possibility of bringing your family to Finland while working.

Check if your family members can get pre-settled status or settled status

Lately, familial bonds are being challenged by people living far and wide away no longer in the same neighborhood or the same city, but the a different country or even a different continent. If you’re a European Union, European Economic Area, or a Swiss citizen, living in the United Kingdom, you might be thinking of the possibility of coming together with your family members. As for the means, knowledge of which is crucial in current circumstances. Additionally, the family law in the UK made it possible for your close relatives to live with you in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. In this article, we shall focus on the specifics of the program and its related social and family members and discuss how it impacts them.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

Brexit has been a key event for the UK foreign policy.
The opening of the EU Settlement Scheme program allows EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens to secure their immigration status in the UK, giving them all a chance. This plan permits them to apply for either pre-settled or settled criteria.
According to their circumstances, they have the option.

Bringing Your Family to the UK

If you have obtained pre-settled or settled status, you can definitely assist your family members in obtaining the same status. Here’s a breakdown of how different family members can join you in the UK:


After December 31, 2020, by putting in the application for your children born after this date, they will be able to come and live with you in the UK. People aged less than 21 with children belonging to them such step children, adopted children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are eligible under the EU Settlement Scheme and family permit.
The plan will still consider a family’s request if they have a child born after the date mentioned above.

Proving the Relationship

So, we accept birth or adoption certificates of EU or EEA citizens or certified filial relation certificates as valid documents. Also in the case of the grandchildren or great-grandchildren of the original ancestor, you will need the birth certificates of the parent who effectively assumes the role of their child. Non-European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), and Swiss citizen children can use the place card as a document of identification.

If your child is not by your biological connection, for example, a foster child, niece, or nephew, provide them with the deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Children Over 21 Years Old

Those aged 21 and above can only join you under the family permit of the EU Settlement Scheme if they are your dependents. In particular (This incorporates step-children and adopted children as well as others among many). Dependence can occur due to any kind of factors, for instance, full-time studies or disability. Health issues can influence dependency too.

Proving the Relationship and Dependency

To prove this relationship, evidence of birth or adoption certificates, guardianship orders, and residence cards could be provided. In case your child is the first one in the family, you need to provide their birth certificate, and if it is the second one, you need your legal papers to prove your marriage or civil partnership.

Husbands, Wives, and Civil Partners

If you got married before December 31, 2020, or formed a civil partnership until this date, they can apply for a family permit or EU Settlement Scheme. As for you, the condition involves living together for at least 2 years until the end of 2020. One can use many documents to prove the relationship. They can be residence cards, marriage or civil partnership certificates as well as certificates of registration if the person is married.

Long-Term Partners

Presenting evidence that you are in a long-term relationship that can last with the EU will allow you to qualify for a family grant or the EU Settlement Scheme. The proof can consist of joint bank statements, utility bills, mortgage statements, or a kid being shared by both individuals before December 31, 2020.

Parents and Grandparents

Taking into account the other possible candidates, your parents or grandparents could also apply to the family permit scheme or the EU Settlement Scheme, in case they rely on you. They might be talking about adoptive or generous parents and grandfathers, as well as their wives or registered partners

Proving the Relationship and Dependency

Other family members must also perform the same action and submit documents proving the care they’ve provided to the immediate family or the financial support they’ve given.

Other Family Members

Regrettably, the family members of those united with a person as brothers/sisters, aunts/uncles, nieces/nephews, and cousins, have been excluded from this EU Settlement Scheme proposal. By the end of June 30, 2021, this was the submission date. Yet, if they have a settlement visa or family visa, they could be given a short relaxation. This offers more time for them to submit their late applications.

Application Process

In the context of family members, their application process is based on their immigration and citizenship status.

EU, EEA, or Swiss Citizen Family Members

EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals family members should normally apply for a leave to remain work permit before moving to the UK. As a solution to this problem, the government can launch the ‘EU Exit’ app for this purpose. Finally, they receive the pre-settled or settled status and can easily journey to the UK.

Non-EU, EEA, or Swiss Citizen Family Members

Some members of families that are not from a member state of the EU, an EEA country, or Switzerland, each have different processes. E.g. for them, it depends on whether they have a residence card or not.

With a Valid Residence Card

A obtaining valid residence card is a positive situation for a family member, she should rather apply to the EU Settlement Scheme as a family before coming to the UK. They become qualified to the UK once they obtain pre-settled or permanent status.

Without a Residence Card

Any family members who are non-resident UK citizens or do not have a residence card must obtain EU Settlement Scheme family permits. They shall not need an additional permit if they possess either a family, work, or study visa. Applicants may fill out the submission form from anywhere on the globe, but it is free.

As lifespans are getting longer and mobility rates are on the rise, the EU Settlement Scheme is here to help you be with your family in the UK. Knowing the requirements for different family members to join you in the UK and how to apply for them are key to a smooth process. This article will guide you through the EU Settlement Scheme and will help you reunite with your family members in the UK.

Scroll to Top