Are you considering moving to Malta with your family? If so, it’s essential to understand the process of obtaining a family visa. Malta offers various visa options for families, allowing them to join their loved ones who are already residing in the country. In this article, we will delve into the details of how long it takes to get a family visa in Malta and provide you with valuable insights to streamline your visa application process.
Understanding the Family Visa in Malta
The family visa in Malta is designed to reunite families by allowing non-EU/EEA nationals to join their family members who are already living in the country. This visa category enables spouses, children, and other dependent relatives to reside in Malta and enjoy the benefits of family life.
Eligibility Criteria for a Family Visa
Before applying for a family visa in Malta, it’s crucial to understand the eligibility criteria. Generally, you must meet the following requirements:
- You should have a family member who is a citizen of Malta or holds a valid residence permit.
- You must provide evidence of your relationship with the family member in Malta.
- You need to prove that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself and your family members during your stay.
- You should possess valid travel documents and health insurance coverage.
Required Documents for a Family Visa Application
To ensure a smooth visa application process, it’s essential to gather all the necessary documents. Here is a list of the documents typically required for a family visa application in Malta:
- Completed visa application form
- Valid passport with at least six months of validity
- Recent passport-sized photographs
- Proof of relationship with the family member in Malta (marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc.)
- Proof of financial means (bank statements, employment contracts, etc.)
- Health insurance coverage
- Accommodation details in Malta
- Police clearance certificate
- Medical certificate (if applicable)
Applying for a Family Visa in Malta
To apply for a family visa in Malta, you need to submit your application to the Maltese embassy or consulate in your home country or the country of your current residence. It’s advisable to apply well in advance of your intended travel date to allow sufficient processing time.
Processing Time for a Family Visa
The processing time for a family visa in Malta may vary depending on various factors such as the volume of applications, the completeness of documents, and the complexity of individual cases. On average, it can take anywhere from four to twelve weeks to receive a decision on your family visa application. It’s important to note that during peak periods, the processing time may be longer.
Tips for a Smooth Visa Application Process
To ensure a smooth visa application process and minimize delays, consider the following tips:
- Start the application process early to allow ample time for document preparation and submission.
- Double-check all the required documents and ensure they are complete and up to date.
- Seek professional assistance if you are unsure about any aspect of the application process.
- Keep copies of all submitted documents for your reference.
- Stay updated on the status of your application through regular communication with the relevant authorities.
Obtaining a family visa in Malta is a significant step towards reuniting with your loved ones. While the processing time may vary, it’s crucial to plan ahead and submit a well-prepared application. By understanding the eligibility criteria, gathering the required documents, and following the tips provided, you can navigate the visa application process smoothly and increase your chances of a successful outcome.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for a family visa in Malta if my family member is an EU/EEA citizen?
No, the family visa is specifically designed for non-EU/EEA nationals.
Are there any age restrictions for dependent children to obtain a family visa?
No, there are no specific age restrictions for dependent children.
Can I work in Malta with a family visa?
No, the family visa does not grant work authorization. You will need a separate work permit to work in Malta.
Can I extend my family visa in Malta?
Yes, it is possible to extend your family visa if you continue to meet the eligibility criteria.
Is it necessary to hire an immigration lawyer to apply for a family visa?
While it’s not mandatory, hiring an immigration lawyer can provide valuable guidance and increase the chances of a successful application.
Do you need a Maltese family visa?
Contact our team of skilled immigration lawyers to discuss your visa and immigration needs.
Call us on +234 812 5505 986 or WhatsApp us at +234 818 1547 085 for immediate assistance with your situation. We are available to assist you in person, over the phone, or online.