Getting a spouse visa is a significant step for individuals planning to join their spouse in Finland. This article aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the spouse visa application process and shed light on the time it takes to obtain a spouse visa in Finland.
Understanding the Spouse Visa
A spouse visa, also known as a family reunification visa, allows the spouse of a Finnish citizen or a foreigner residing in Finland to live and work in the country. It is a legal requirement for spouses seeking to join their partners in Finland for an extended period.
To be eligible for a spouse visa in Finland, certain criteria must be met. These criteria typically include:
- The sponsor must be a Finnish citizen or a foreigner with a valid residence permit in Finland.
- The applicant and the sponsor must be legally married or in a registered partnership.
- Both parties must have a genuine intention to live together as a married couple.
- The sponsor must have sufficient income and suitable accommodation to support the applicant.
When applying for a spouse visa in Finland, certain documents must be submitted. These may include:
- Valid passport for the applicant and sponsor.
- Marriage certificate or proof of registered partnership.
- Birth certificates of any children.
- Proof of sufficient income and employment.
- Accommodation details in Finland.
- Health insurance coverage.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Completed visa application forms.
The spouse visa application process involves several steps. Here’s a general overview:
- Gather all the required documents as per the checklist provided by the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri).
- Fill out the visa application forms accurately.
- Submit the application and required documents either online or at the nearest Finnish embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Pay the visa application fee.
The processing time for a spouse visa in Finland can vary depending on various factors. On average, the processing time ranges from a few months to several months. Factors that may impact the processing time include:
- Completeness of the application and supporting documents.
- Workload and capacity of the Finnish Immigration Service.
- The complexity of the case.
- Any additional checks or interviews required.
Interview and Decision
In some cases, an interview may be scheduled as part of the spouse visa application process. The purpose of the interview is to assess the genuineness of the relationship and gather further information. After the interview, a decision will be made regarding the visa application.
If the spouse visa application is rejected, there is an opportunity to appeal the decision. The appeal process involves submitting an appeal letter stating the reasons for disagreement with the decision. The appeal should be submitted within a specific timeframe.
Traveling to Finland
Once the spouse visa is approved, the applicant can make arrangements to travel to Finland. It is essential to plan the travel well in advance and make necessary arrangements for accommodation, transportation, and other essential factors.
Obtaining a spouse visa in Finland is a process that requires careful preparation and adherence to the eligibility criteria. The processing time can vary, but with the right documentation and fulfilling the requirements, individuals can reunite with their spouse in Finland.
Can I work in Finland with a spouse visa?
Yes, a spouse visa allows you to work and reside in Finland.
I need to provide translated documents for my spouse visa application?
Yes, any documents not in Finnish, Swedish, or English must be translated by an authorized translator.
Can I visit Finland while my spouse visa application is under process?
You can visit Finland on a short-term visa while your spouse visa application is being processed.
What happens if my spouse visa application is rejected?
If your spouse visa application is rejected, you have the option to appeal the decision.
How long can I stay in Finland with a spouse visa?
A spouse visa allows you to stay in Finland for the duration specified in the visa, typically up to two years.
Do you need a Finland Spouse Visa?
Contact our team of skilled immigration lawyers to discuss your visa and immigration needs.
Call us on +234 812 5505 986 or WhatsApp us at +234 818 1547 085 for immediate assistance with your situation. We are available to assist you in person, over the phone, or online.