Explore the requirements for an international agreement worker visa and learn how to apply, the eligibility criteria and application process

International Agreement Worker Visa

Today, skilled professionals have lots of chances to work abroad. The UK is a popular place because of its history, culture, and strong economy. The International Agreement Worker Visa lets eligible people work there for a while. This guide will help you understand this visa and start your work journey in the UK.

What is the International Agreement Worker Visa

This is a special visa for certain international workers coming to the UK. It’s for jobs related to international law, working for foreign governments, serving diplomats, or doing contracted work as a professional.

Evolution of the Visa

The International Agreement Worker Visa began in December 2020 as part of the UK’s new immigration system. It replaced the old Temporary Worker – International Agreement Worker Visa (T5) and follows international agreements the UK has signed.

Who can apply for this Temporary Visa?

Learn about the eligibility criteria for obtaining the International Agreement Worker Visa, which allows individuals to work in the UK under specific conditions.

Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS):

To qualify, you need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship reference number from your employer, indicating their sponsorship for your UK employment.

Financial Requirements:

Applicants must have at least £1,270 in their bank account to support themselves while in the UK.


You must be at least 18 years old to apply for this visa.

Nature of Work:

Your work must fall under categories such as those covered by international agreements or agreements between the UK and other countries, or involve diplomatic household service.

Academic Approval Technology Scheme (ATAS) Certificate:

If your job aligns with a relevant occupation code for a UK sponsor that is also a licensed student sponsor, you may need an ATAS certificate.

Sponsoring Employer:

Your employer must be a valid sponsor authorized to issue Certificates of Sponsorship.

Proof of Financial Maintenance:

You must show £1,270 in your bank account for 28 consecutive days before applying. Exceptions may apply if you’ve been in the UK for the past year or if your employer commits to covering your expenses initially.

Exceptions to the financial requirement may occur in the following situations:

If you have lived in the UK for the preceding 12 months.

If your employer pledges to cover your expenses, up to £1,270, for your first 30 days in the UK. Your Certificate of Sponsorship must indicate your employer’s commitment to this arrangement.

Bringing Dependents on the International Agreement Worker Visa

Understand the process and requirements for bringing dependents with you if you are granted the International Agreement Worker Visa for the UK.


Dependents include your spouse, civil or unmarried partner, children under 18, and children over 18 if they are currently dependent on you in the UK.

Partner Requirements:

To include your partner as a dependent, provide proof of your relationship, such as a marriage certificate or evidence of cohabitation for at least two years.

Child Requirements:

Children over 16 must:

Reside with you (unless attending an educational institution).

Not be married or have children.

Rely on you for financial support.

Financial Requirements for Dependents:

£285 for your partner

£315 for the first child

£200 for each additional child

For Instance:

If the visa applicant (£1,270), their spouse (£285), and child (£315) apply together, the total funds needed would be £1,870.

Essential Documents 

Discover the crucial supporting documents required for a successful application for the International Agreement Worker Visa.

Valid Passport or Travel Document:

Please make sure your passport or travel document has at least one blank page for visa endorsement.

Certificate of Sponsorship Reference Number:

Include your unique reference number from your Certificate of Sponsorship provided by your employer.

Proof of Personal Savings:

Provide evidence of personal savings to meet the maintenance requirement during your stay in the UK

Proof of Relationship (if applicable):

If bringing a dependent partner or child, submit proof of your relationship with them.

Tuberculosis Certificate (if required):

Provide a clean tuberculosis certificate

ATAS Certificate (if applicable):

If your job requires it, submit a valid ATAS certificate.


Documents not in English or Welsh must have certified translations.

You’ll be notified during your application if you need to submit biometric information.

How to Apply for the International Agreement Worker Visa

Learn the step-by-step process to apply for the International Agreement Worker Visa for the UK.

Receive a Job Offer:

Get a job offer from an approved sponsor, and keep your Certificate of Sponsorship number ready for your application.

Provide Biometric Information:

If your intended stay is over six months, pay the immigration healthcare surcharge and have your fingerprints and photo taken at a visa application center. Alternatively, use the UK Immigration: ID Check app.

Gather Supporting Documents:

Collect all necessary documents, including those related to finances, dependents, health, and ATAS certification if needed.

Submit Online Application:

Complete and submit your application through the UK visa application page.

Pay Visa Application Fee:

Pay the required visa application fee.

Await Decision:

Wait for a decision on your visa application. While success isn’t guaranteed, working with an experienced immigration lawyer can improve your chances.

Extending your International Agreement work visa

You can extend your International Agreement Worker Visa for up to 24 months at once or for the duration stated on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter. Private servants in diplomatic households can extend their visas for up to five years. However, contractual service suppliers or independent professionals usually stay for up to six months in a year. However, there may be exceptions for those working under international agreements. For help extending your visa, contact IAS for personalized advice based on your situation.

Switching to this visa category

If you’re in the UK on another visa, you can’t switch to the International Agreement Worker Visa. But there are exceptions:

If you have a valid work permit.

If you work for an overseas government or international organization.

Make sure to apply before your current visa ends. Sometimes, you might have to leave the UK, apply for a visa from outside, and come back if it’s approved. Check your situation and eligibility carefully.

The International Agreement Worker Visa offers numerous professional opportunities in the UK. Whether you’re involved in work under international treaties, serving a foreign government, or offering specialized services, this visa can lead to a rewarding experience in the UK. By grasping the details of this visa and following the application process, you can start your journey with confidence, equipped to navigate UK immigration. Seize the chance to unlock your potential and discover new possibilities with the International Agreement Worker Visa.

Scroll to Top