Secure your Non-EEA Employment Permit with our detailed application process guide. Start your career in the EEA with confidence.


Going through the journey to reunite with loved ones in Ireland, especially when one holds an employment permit, can feel like starting a very intricate adventure. Let’s explore the details of how non-EEA family members can join their partners in Ireland and unravel the complexities together.

Joining Your Partner in Ireland

For partners or spouses of non-EEA individuals with an Irish employment permit, the chance of reuniting can bring both excitement and some difficulties. This journey, though fulfilling, demands patience due to its various processes and requirements. The eligibility to join your partner depends on their employment permit type.

Types of Employment Permits For Non-EEA Employment Permits

In Ireland, employment permits are of two main categories, that is,  Category A and Category B and they determine when a non-EEA employment permit holder can sponsor their family members to join them in Ireland.

Category A

Category A includes permit holders, such as Critical Skills Employment Permit holders and Entrepreneurs. If your partner falls under Category A, you can join them immediately after they receive their permit.

Category B

Category B covers Non-Critical Skills Employment Permit holders. If your partner holds a Category B permit, you can join them after they’ve worked in Ireland for a year.

But if your partner’s permit falls under neither Category C, you won’t be able to join them in Ireland under current regulations.

Work Eligibility for Partners

After successfully joining your partner in Ireland, your work eligibility depends on your type of employment permit. If your partner holds a Critical Skills Employment Permit, you can work in Ireland without needing an additional permit. Still, if they have a different type of permit, you will need to apply for an employment permit by yourself.

Immigration Stamps and Visa Application

Partners of Critical Skills Employment Permit holders receive a specific immigration stamp that allows them to work in Ireland without an additional permit but before this change in policy in March of 2019, partners of CSEP used to get a stamp 3 but now it is a stamp 1G that can allow you to work in the country without an additional employment permit but you have to renew it after every year and if you use the permit for 5 years you can apply to be a citizen by naturalization. The visa application process depends on your nationality, but regardless you must still provide correct and accurate documents.

Application Process For Non-EEA Employment Permit

When you are applying for your long stay ‘D’ visa your specific application process depends on your country of nationality so for people who need visas you are to apply online through AVATS, pay your visa fee, and submit the necessary documentation and the application office will review it to be sure you met all the criteria and they can decide to ask you to bring more supporting papers or come and give your biometrics but if are from a country that does not need a visa you can just travel with your documents and apply for permission to enter at the border control.

Required Documents include:

  • Application summary from AVATS
  • Proof of visa fee payment
  • Current and previous Passports
  • Letter of application
  • Partner’s passport and employment permit
  • Evidence of relationship
  • Proof of financial capability
  • Medical or travel insurance

Processing Times For Non-EEA Employment Permit

Visa processing times can take several months because it is usually attended to in chronological order so it’s advisable to apply early and stay updated on your application’s status.

This kind of long stay ‘D’ visa usually takes a long time about 6 months after you submit your application to be processed and this can depend on where you submitted your application so always track your application status.

In conclusion, joining your partner in Ireland is a journey filled with unique requirements and processes. By understanding these intricacies, you can navigate reuniting with your family successfully. For further guidance, you should consult immigration authorities or legal experts.

Scroll to Top