Discover how to obtain visa for your partner and child to live in the UK. Learn about the process and requirements

UK Partner and Child Visa

In this age, many people form relationships across borders and want to live together in the UK with their loved ones. Getting UK visa for your partner and child can be complex. This guide will help you understand how to obtain family visa for them to join you in the UK

Partner Visa: Eligibility and Options

If your spouse is Ukrainian and you want them to join you in the UK or stay if they’re already here, they can apply for this visa. It reunites you and allows them to apply if they have children under 18.

Sponsorship and Requirements

As the sponsor, your role is key in the application process. You must meet specific criteria, such as being a British or Irish citizen, having indefinite leave, or holding certain EU Settlement Scheme statuses. You also need to ensure that your income and savings meet the financial requirements set by UK authorities.

Who Can Apply?

Child visas are usually available when a parent holds or is applying for a Partner Visa. This lets children under 18 join their parents in the UK. It’s important to know that these children don’t have to be the partner’s biological offspring. Step-children can also apply if they meet specific requirements.

Meeting the Financial Requirement

To qualify for this visa, the sponsoring parent’s income must be at least £18,600 per year before tax. Additional amounts are needed for each sponsored child: £3,800 for the first child and £2,400 for each additional child. Income from employment, pensions, and certain benefits can be used to meet these financial requirements.

Safe and Suitable Accommodation

Applicants must show that their home is safe, suitable, and big enough for their family. Owning a home is not required, but providing stable accommodation is important. Specific rules apply to council housing, so check local guidelines for overcrowding.

English Language Requirements

In many cases, the visa applicant needs to pass an English language test. Exemptions apply to citizens of countries where English is official or widely spoken, those with a relevant university degree, and individuals under 18 or over 65. If a medical condition affects language learning, medical confirmation may exempt the applicant from the language test.

Application Process

Partners can apply for Partner Visas and Child Visas together or separately. The fee for each family visa application is over £1,500. Partner visas are usually granted for 2 years and 9 months, or 2 years and 6 months if the applicant is already in the UK.

Extending Your Visa

Partners can apply to extend their visas before the initial one expires. After holding a Partner Visa for 5 years, applicants can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, which grants permanent residence. If the visa was granted based on exceptional circumstances, it may take 10 years to become eligible for indefinite leave.

Special Cases and Exceptions

Other Visa Options

In certain situations, there are alternative visa choices available. For instance, if the child was born in the UK, if a parent is a citizen of the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, or if you were born in Northern Ireland. These cases require further investigation to determine eligibility.

Refugee and Family Reunion

Those with humanitarian protection and Refugees can sponsor their partners and children. If the relationship begins before leaving the home country, family reunion rules may apply, making the process smoother.

Rights with Family Visas

Individuals can rent or buy housing, access healthcare through the NHS, enroll their children in schools, and travel in and out of the UK freely. However, access to most public funds and council housing may be limited at first.

Accessing Benefits

Some applicants with family visas based on exceptional circumstances or private and family life may qualify for benefits and council housing. Conditions and exceptions vary, so review the visa documentation for details.

Extending and Settling Permanently

Partners can extend their visas for another 2 years and 6 months before the current one ends. If you have a 6-month visa for marriage or civil partnership and it’s delayed, you may request a small extension. After holding a Partner Visa for 5 years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, allowing for permanent residency together.

Navigating the process of obtaining family visa for your partner and child to live in the UK involves meeting various requirements and considerations. This guide covers eligibility, sponsorship, financial requirements, accommodation, and language proficiency. Stay informed, refer to official government guidelines, and seek legal advice if necessary for a successful application and a bright future together in the United Kingdom. Each case is unique, so professional guidance is often essential for navigating the complex immigration process effectively.

Scroll to Top